Thursday, June 12, 2008

Interesting Phenomenon

Since the end of the spring semester I have gotten real sick with a bad chest cold. I experienced the same thing at the end of the fall semester as well. I find this interesting since I never got really sick during either semester. I was extremely busy, especially this spring, but I never got sick enough to keep me in bed.

What is it that keeps us from getting sick when we are working long hours over a long period of time yet as soon as we let our bodies get some needed rest we get really sick? It is because we tell ourselves we can't get sick or is it the grace of God or somehow both?

If it's because we tell ourselves we can't get sick then that would seem to show our state of mind has a powerful influence over our bodies in this regard. I wonder if any studies have been done on this? I know that the use of placebos in testing drugs and other things shows the mind has an impact but to what degree can it actually influence the health of our bodies?

Psalm 139:14 (NLT)
Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.

No comments: