Saturday, April 16, 2011

"Walk by Faith" Part 2 of 2


As I was going about trying to raise support to go on my first summer outreach to Europe in 1997 I really had no idea what to do. I had read about George Mueller, who was an evangelist during the 1800’s, and how he had started orphanages and other organizations without asking for money. What did he do? He prayed and that was it, he never told anyone about the needs of the orphanages. To me that seemed like a great idea but I didn’t sense this was the way for me to go.

So I wrote a letter to friends and others I knew and showed it to my pastor to see what he thought. He said it was ok but suggested I don’t mention how much I need and let God take care of that. Sounded good to me so I did that and by the time I left for the outreach I had exactly the amount needed for the trip. For me that was very encouraging and would be the way I would deal with raising support from then on. Let people know what I was doing and leave the results to God and pray a lot!

When I moved to Romania long-term in October 1997 I went because God had very strongly confirmed that He wanted me to go. The sense that I was suppose to go was so strong that I didn’t wait until I had support lined up. I sent out letters again and let everyone know what I was doing and why and then I left for Romania. I had a plane ticket and $600 in my hand and didn’t know what would happen but because I believed God wanted me to go I trusted that He would provide.

After being in Romania a few weeks I said to myself, “Was I nuts or what!” All of a sudden there were lots of doubts as I had no idea how things were going to work out. But you know what? They did work out. It wasn’t easy at first but over time things got better and better. I saw God provide when I was in special need many times and those experiences really encouraged me.

But since moving to Bucharest in February 2007 my support has never been adequate for living here in the Capitol of Romania. Living in the big city is a lot more expensive than the other places I have lived. I have a nice apartment and by Bucharest standards my rent is very reasonable. When I tell Romanians who visit my place how much I pay they tell I got a great deal. But what I pay for rent here is what I use to live on for everything- rent, utilities, food, etcetera. Of course, the cost of living has gone up a lot as well so if I was back in those other cities I would be paying a lot more than I did before.

I did not look for this apartment; it fell into my lap, so to speak. When I first saw it I realized it would be a great place for a Bible study as it is on the ground floor, has marble tiled floors, a tram stops right outside in front of the apartment building and is located somewhat close to the center of the city. It is used now for ministry on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and one Sunday a month for movie night. In addition, I have a Romanian living with me who graduated from the Bible College in Hungary and had moved back but had no place to live. I love having him and am glad I can help him out this way but so far he hasn’t able to pay for the additional expenses he has caused as some of the utilities are based on how many people live in the apartment. In May he will start a new job so hopefully he will be able to help out a bit though he will only be making around $300 a month.

I have been back to the States twice trying to raise more support to live here in Bucharest. Each time I would have people and churches tell me they are going to support me but most never followed through. Thankfully a few did but it hasn’t been enough yet to meet my monthly expenses.  So I am in real need of raising a lot more monthly support and even some one time financial gifts as I don’t know how I am going to pay rent next month. I pay three months at a time in the middle of the three months and it comes due May 15. Somehow, by faith, I will be able to pay it. This is my hope and prayer as I would hate to have to move out.

So I would appreciate your prayers very much and if any of you are open and able I would ask you to please prayerfully consider supporting me on a monthly basis or at least sending a financial gift  at this time to help me out so I can pay rent next month.

For His glory,

William


Support Information

By Check
Make checks payable to: Lumina pe Strada

Put ROWA in the memo section and attached a note to the check with my name William Anderson

Mail to:   Lumina pe Strada
              1241 West Olive Ave.
              El Centro, CA  92243


Please include the following information the first time you send support:
  1. Name for tax purposes
  2. Address
  3. Phone number
  4. Email address
Giving to Lumina pe Strada (Romanian for "Light on the Street') is tax deductible. At the end of the year you will receive a receipt for tax purposes.

No comments: